Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Laundry "mess"cellaneous

I was reading a fascinating down-to-earth blog (http://commoncentshome.blogspot.com/2010/03/homemade-laundry-detergent.html) - one of my favorites - and she gave a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I had run out at the time so I decided, why not! I already had all the ingredients so I made it. Of course, I altered it a little. I love it.



Homemade Laundry Detergent
1 cup automatic dishwashing  detergent
2 cups washing soda (or regular baking soda)
2 cups Borax (easy to find in the laundry aisle)
1 cup Oxy-clean

Mix all ingredients. Store in a large ice cream bucket.

Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry. This is a highly concentrated mixture and does not create suds.

These mixtures are eco-friendly!

Homemade Pre-treatment Spray (safe on colors)
1/2 cup ammonia
1/4 cup liquid dish soap
2 tbsp. Borax
1/3 cup white vinegar
3 cups water
Combine in spray bottle. Shake well.


Other hints:
*Add one cup of white vinegar to each load to make whites whiter and colors brighter. It also reduces static and disinfects.
*Add 1/4 cup Oxi-clean to every load.
*Oil, grease, ring-around-the-collar stains: Rub a dab of shampoo into the stain. Wah-lah! (Cheap shampoo is quite harsh and can remove color on non-colorfast clothing so use it on a unnoticeable spot first.)
*Kool-Aid/punch stain: Fill bucket with water; add denture cleaner
*If you run out of laundry soap, you can use dish soap or shampoo as a temporary substitute.

3 comments:

  1. Sweet. Thanks Bonnie I love homemade soaps and ideas. I need all the help I can get! LOL. I would love to try this out and see if I could manage to do it. I love the smell of Lavender though. Hum...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can find (or make) Lavender soap bars, use it. That's the beauty of this recipe. You can personalize it as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how interesting! FYI: your tricks have saved me several times. :)

    ReplyDelete

Kind Comments