Last fall, I wanted so much to make the same identical dress for Christmas for my two-year-old granddaughter Melanie as her mother had when she was three. I loved that dress.And the original dress is nowhere to be found. So I knew I needed to make another one. I looked and looked through all of my patterns and found a lot of cute dresses but not THE ONE. I asked Grandma-great Watkins if she had the pattern. She remembered the one I was talking about so we searched her patterns at Thanksgiving but to no avail.
Oh, great.
That meant I had to design it from Melanie's current measurements and memory (20 years).
After getting the dress about 75 percent done, I found the pattern on ebay. I quickly purchased it to compare my creation and to my surprise, it was almost exact! I must confess that I made improvements from the original design.
P.S. Melanie is wearing it backwards. The buttons should be on the back, although it was confusing because I made two dresses for Christmas - this pink one and a blue one. The blue dress has pretty butterfly buttons on the front. Oh, well. It's still cute. (See the Cozzens blog for a picture of the blue dress)
By the way, Janette, Jennifer and Rachel - do you remember your dresses like this one? Jennifer's was purple and Rachel's was red.
Marcie- note the hair style. You have a "holly".
ReplyDeleteI do remember mine and I even have a studio portrait of it just like Marcie!
ReplyDeleteI find it hilarious that I put it on backwards- opps! I'll have to put Melanie's hair up and take a better picture (maybe I'll brib her :) ).
ReplyDelete-- Marcie