What a fun event!
First I did not get all the directions that I needed so I had quite the adventure of driving. First I left Thursday around 1:00 pm and drove to Evanston, Wyoming. I took the first exit and drove 30 miles to the south like John had told me. Saw the biggest single-wide trailer "cities" ever!! Also saw a large bobcat chasing an antelope mama and baby across the road. Lucky for the baby, I drove by because the bobcat hunkered down behind a sage brush. It was cool. At the end of the 30 miles, it came to a dead end road at an oil company's property. Oops! It was not the first exit, I guess so I turned around. So I headed back to Evanston and took the 2nd exit. Yep. This is the right road because it was US150 and connected with Kamas. Yeah!! I drove 30 miles never seeing a sign to turn so I went up and over the mountain. Went through absolutely beautiful scenery (summit nearly 11,000 ft) and enjoyed my travels. Knowing when I arrived at Kamas that it was too late to turn around and try to find them in the dark, I headed home. It was a scenic 5 1/2 hour drive. Wish I could have enjoyed with someone besides myself! Soooo frustrating to not have a cell phone at these times!!!
I did some research online to look at all the maps to try this again.
Friday morning, I left again for Evanston and took the 2nd exit. This time I said a prayer that I would be more in tune with my surroundings and directions. (Should have done that the first time!) Following the spirit, I drove 25 miles south of Evanston and thought I saw a sign so I turned around. Yep, I almost missed it again. Thanks spirit for turning me around. Drove the horrible dirt road and finally arrived at camp. Yeah!!!!!
John took me to some of the activities. I loved it. It was sooo fun to see Duncan strut his stuff in his element. The game he and the other 7th Ward boys LOVED was called Rag Tag or dragon tail. Oh bubba! It was absolutely fun to watch them strategize and dominate this physically demanding game. Basically it's like flag football with no ball mixed with tag. You have two rags in your back pockets and he who has the last rag(s) wins.
The next game was called Kubb (cube or cub - I don't know). John could play this game with his injured hand. It's kind of like horseshoes but with quite the twist. Each team has five cubes. There are six large 12-15" dowels to try to knock down the opposing cubes. The rules are simple but too complicated to describe here. It ends with the "king pin" being knocked over.
The in-camp game was called stretch. You throw a extra large 12" nail and stretch to reach it. It was soooo funny to watch John and Duncan interact in such a positive fun way. LOVED IT!
With John being released from the YM, we will probably not have another opportunity to attend this fun event, unless we receive an invitation?!
As I reflected on the event, I realized how tough we are on Duncan. He is such a good kid with tremendous potential. We expect a lot from him because of his potential. He is one of the Lord's warriors who will lead the attack against Satan. It's not easy to focus on the big picture during his tantrums but it will be worth it!!! I am grateful for being his mother! Love ya, son!!
Thank you, John, for being patient with me, understanding my challenges and never belittling me. Though I do not deserve to have a great help meet.
How does the saying go? "I'm grateful I had a mean mother." OR something like that. Down deep in my heart I knew my parents loved me and sometimes it was hard to live up to their expectations, but I'm glad I tried. Whatever I've become is at least a partial result of what they expected (demanded?). It's not always easy, but it's worth it.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun experience! Times like those are so important to build and to continue building relationships. You guys are awesome parents! I know that first hand! :)
ReplyDelete-- Marcie